Friday, April 18, 2008

Rosetta Stone for baby language?

Ball is one of the words in the baby vernacular that Zoe is now saying sporadically. The others are please, mama, daddy and bye-bye. All are uttered only under the duress of some parental prodding and any attempt at getting her to say these words so we can "show off" to our friends and family is met only with silence. We are continuing to do our darndest to introduce a constant stream of words in her lexicon (stopping short of "I hate you", "keys to the car", and any conversation concerning reproductive organs) but it has been a slow process. I assume if I look at the situation from Zoe's perspective, she is saying plenty and it has been a slow process getting me to understand. More frustrating for her I imagine since when I don't understand what she is saying she ends up missing out on something tangible like Teddy Grahams or a coveted bath toy. When I don't think she is saying an actual word, I just miss out on essential blogging material and a mommy moment of giddiness and pride. . . lucky for me I already get plenty of this.

No comments: