Monday, August 6, 2007

"Thank You" - Sadie 'The Dog' Fuller

I will not move the dog bowl off the floor. That's right, I'm taking a stance; laying down the law if you will. Sadie, while loved, is not welcomed to hop up on a chair and join us at the table for dinner. She has no opposable thumbs so she can not use the silverware. Her table manners are atrocious and she gets hair everywhere so her food and water must stay on the ground. She is under no directive to eat her chow at any set time so it frequently sits in the bowl all day. What is the point of this rambling about obvious canine dietary habits you may ask yourself. Well, we are now practicing "discipline". Yes, the word discipline is put in quotes to illustrate just how loosely I am meaning it. Frankly, it has become a game and I am the only one playing; so the question you need to ask yourself is if I am the only one playing, how can I be losing? Indulge me by taking a peek into life in the Fuller house.

5:00 p.m. - Zoe wakes from her nap squealing and laughing. I place her on the floor.
5:10 p.m. - She happily plays with anything that I did not purchase specifically for her. Her expensive Leap Frog toys languish in the corner, probably laughing at the poor remote control.
5:25 p.m. - Like a bullet out of gun, Zoe beelines across the kitchen to the dog food bowl (she is quicker than you might think).
5:25:30 p.m. - "I will not move the dog food bowl, I will not move the dog food bowl."
5:26 p.m. - I give Zoe a stern "No!"
5:26:30 p.m. - Zoe hysterically laughs. "nnnnnaaaa"
5:27 p.m. - Zoe is placed far from the dog food bowl and is now playing with the door. All Leapforg items are sleeping.
5:28 p.m. - Zoe makes another run for it as I unload the dishwasher. I wonder to myself how people do this with more than one.
5:28:30 p.m. - "Zoe, No!"
5:29 p.m. - Laughter fills the room
5:30 p.m. - Sadie begs for a treat with no appreciation for the lengths I am going to protect her actual dinner.
5:31 p.m. - Zoe is playing with the magazines. Leapfrog products have borrowed the keys to the car and have gone out for a spin.
5:35 p.m. - I am paying bills and like a flash she is back, heading for the dog food bowl. I wonder, out loud this time, how people do this with more than one.
5:35:30 p.m. - She stops just short of the bowl and smiles at me, gets back into crawling position and continues on.
5:35 p.m. - "Zoe, No!"
5:36 p.m. - Now Zoe and Sadie are both laughing.
5:37 p.m. - I call a friend with multiple kids and asks how she does it.
"Why don't you just move the dog food bowl?"
5:40 p.m. - The Leapfrog toys come home.

We had her nine-month appointment today; Zoe is a whopping 20lbs and 28 inches! Everything looks great and her hair is getting better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If there was a cupcake down there,she completely ignore the bowl. :)